What is the current, best budget player for 1080p w/ no video?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Hi guys/girls,

I'm considering starting an ad-exchange tourist info network for our tourist town, where businesses would put up their own screen where their only up-front cost would be their own TV/display, and purchasing a pre-configured player at cost - in exchange for putting up a screen, they get a static image advert added to the loop somewhere.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on Rise and have been testing the player using an Raspberry Pi 2 (~$70 w/ necessary stuff) with an OS image I found here on the community.  I also just ran into a post saying it's possible to run the player on a Fire TV Stick ($40)...

I'm currently testing all the different functionality, and seeing what types of content I can embed in the presentations.  I don't think I'm going to be using video playback, but I'd like to make use of the built-in animations...

My display targets are 1080p, landscape, no video...  This works relatively fine on the RP2.

What would you all suggest is the best, most cost-effective player I could use?  Remember it's not really a for-profit project, and my hope is users will just have a TV they can supply (or purchase).

Any insight is much appreciated!
Photo of Cody Bishko

Cody Bishko

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Shea

Shea, Official Rep

• 5,188 Points 5k badge 2x thumb