Videos not playing

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
I have a customer location that quit playing all videos some time within the last week or so.  Their network guy says nothing has changed on their network, no new filters put in place.  However, videos are not playing at that location but they play fine at our office.  Any ideas?  
Photo of tony

tony

• 11,670 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
  • Confused

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

• 76,676 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Tony,

Was it just the videos that stopped? Is other content in the Presentation having issues as well?

Can you email support@risevision.com with the name of the Displays and Company having issues?
Photo of tony

tony

Robb,

Right now I am treating this as a network issue.  Here are the specifics.
  • every item that is video is not playing on 3 screens at this one building.  The same presentations play fine at our office.  ...all items
  • rebooted PCs - no resolve
  • deleted and reloaded player - no resolve
  • deleted Chrome and player and reloaded - no resolve
The only question I have is - Could there be something related to Rise would make this happen?  Again, the presentation works fine at our office.  
Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

Tony,

Thanks for those clarifications. One quick test I would recommend would be to try a direct link to the file inside their network to see if that works as expected. That will be the best test to see if it is blocked.

The only thing I was wondering is if they were not on the new Electron Player and were updated to that, and that caused an issue. Let me know what you discover!
Photo of tony

tony

Robb,  Thanks for the troubleshooting tip.  I didn't' think about playing the link directly in the browser.  That has created some bad news, which is...now we don't know what the problem is.  Is seems more likely Rise related now than network...but I'm not sure how.  The videos will play on those machines at that location directly from the link.  That means that it's not being blocked by the network.  I'll admit, the text machine I've been running it on is an old XP machine removed from a customer location some time ago...so the comparison now seems more it plays on the old player vs. the new rather than it plays here vs. there.  
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 2,836 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Robb/Tony

Over the last 3 weeks or so, we have a number of long running presentations (as in working fine for 5 months)  that have video scheduled within the presentations, and in folders within the video widget. Suddenly, the previously working WEBM videos do not play back in the field.

They preview just fine and they play in the lab OK. We will work the troubleshooting steps outlined and test them in browsers on-site as well.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave

Dave

BTW: What the heck is the "Electron Player"
Photo of tony

tony

Funny...I was wondering the same thing.
Photo of Dave

Dave

Just tested on a display's instance of the chromium browser. WEBM is playing back from rise storage URL in the remote machine's browser.  Still not playing back from presentation.
Photo of tony

tony

Robb,  I can confirm this is a Rise issue.  The test machine we were using that was working is an XP machine with an older version of the player.  We took a newer machine comparable to the ones not working and deleted the browser and the player so we could compare apples to apples with the ones not working...new Chrome, new Rise player.  The videos are not playing in the presentation.  
Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

Tony,

Let us know if my recommendations that I sent via email fixed your issue. So everyone can share in the knowledge, I replaced the deprecated Video Item with the Video Widget, and this solved the issue (at least for me).

Thanks!
Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

Sorry for the confusion guys,

When I say Electron, I am referring to the latest version of the Rise Player, which we started rolling out a couple of weeks ago. You can read more about that in this post.

Can I ask you to send a link to support@risevision.com with a copy of the Presentations that are giving you this issue? I'd like to investigate a bit further. 

Thanks!
Photo of Dave

Dave

So,not part of the last Chrome 50 release? When does the Electron player hit us? Looks like a wholesale architecture change out. Slightly concerning.
Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

Dave,

We've been staggering the rollout of the Electron Player over the last couple of weeks, and just to confirm, this only applies to users who are on the latest version of the Installer. If you recently installed on these machines, like in the past couple of months, you would likely have gotten upgraded to this installer.

We rolled out Chrome 50 for the older versions of our Player, since we didn't want anyone being hit by the irritating "Chrome is out of Date" pop up box.

Quick question, when the video is supposed to be playing, what does it show in its place? A black box? Does it skip right over it?

Thanks!
Photo of tony

tony

FYI...mine were skipping right over.  I am testing with the widget.  I'll get back to you on the results. 
Photo of tony

tony

So.  Video works.  

The good thing I can say - The Widget does play the video more smoothly.  

However...the loading screen that pops us every single time a video comes on is so not professional...it's going to kill my presentations.  Especially in the lobbies of a couple of our credit union customer that play video after video.  Blake said the videos all cached now with the player but that loading screen EVERY - SINGLE - TIME...says otherwise.  Why all caps?  Because it's every bit as unprofessional and annoying as seeing that loading screen every time video comes on.  It's also very ugly when the background is a video and text comes up on a black screen while that loading signs spins then the background video comes up.  The old player never did that.  Videos just started on time as you'd expect.  I hate to keep harping on it, but I can't believe a player was even released that would do that.  It's  has a very cheap appeal and just absolutely degrades my presentations.  ...that's the down side of the widget.  
Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

Tony,

Glad to hear that it solved the issue! That loading screen is something we are investigating, and we will be informing everyone if and when any changes are made to that.

Thanks!
Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

Dave,

I've confirmed you are on the older installer (the V2 Installer), on linux 64 Bit boxes. I have your Presentation running on a V2 Linux 64 Bit box, and the video in the Presentation "Landscape Fullscreen" shows up just fine for me. I'm a little perplexed as to why yours is just skipping over them. Can you open a direct link to the video inside the network? If that works, can I ask you to delete everything from /appdata/local/rvplayer/RiseCache/Cache? It's very unlikely, but maybe it somehow got corrupted in the download of the video file.

All of the videos in "Landscape Waiting Room Readers FullScreen" are using the long deprecated Video Item, not the Video Widget. I would strongly suggest changing these to use the Video Widget instead of the Video Item. Right now, I am seeing "Silly Pig has an idea" after switching to the Video Widget and all looks well :)

Can you try switching to the Video Widget, and let me know if that fixes the issue?

Thanks!