Video Folder Widget windows & unbuntu

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
So having an odd issue. Using Video Folder Widget I can't get my machine display to show the place holder active and show the video. If I leave the old video widget that streamed from vimeo I have no problems. I have done all the updates, chrome is up to date still having this issue on windows 8. What could the issue be? Even on preview it doesn't play outside of the chrome rise player. The presentation plays fine on an another machine. 
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

• 2,526 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Edwin,

Just so I understand completely....the videos don't play on a Windows 8 machine, but they do play on an Ubuntu machine, running the same presentation? Are both running the Rise Chrome App Player?

Justin
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

Sorry, on this same machine I had an issue with the presentation in Unbuntu & in Windows 8 but only using the Video Folder Widget. (its very odd) but I took Unbuntu off and trying to just get it to work on the windows 8 side of it. If I use the old stock free player to play vimeo it still works from an older presentation but if I use the new folder widget it doesn't play at all on this display on Windows 8. 
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

Edwin,

Can you send the preview link to the presentation in question?

Justin
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

sure. http://bit.ly/1LnYKAf << this is one of them that will not play. However on any other machine so far the preview I have been able to play. 
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

Edwin,

That is very interesting. The preview works fine for me (Mac, Chrome 43.0.2357.134), and I ran an exact copy of this presentation on a Windows 7, Windows 8, and Ubuntu 14.04 machine here in the office, and it played there just fine as well. There was a slight delay while the videos were cached, but it was flawless after that. 

I would make sure you're using the Chrome App on the Windows player, and that Chrome is up-to-date.

Also make sure you've completed the steps in the Optimization Guide found here: https://help.risevision.com/user/advanced/display/chrome-player-windows?cid=f114ad26-949d-44b4-87e9-...

Justin
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

It's odd because http://bit.ly/1xbyxiQ << this one plays fine on the same machine and has been for awhile. The only main issue with this one I have had is shockwave player crashes on chrome way to much and the only fix it to refresh the browser. Plus since the player is no longer supported switch it over the new players. I have the same results it works on my mac & other windows machines. I've done everything on that optimization list minus the application monitor. Any other ideas?
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

Edwin,

Another thing I noticed, on your videos that are in Rise Storage (for use in the Video Folder Widget), those are MP4 videos. While they should work (and do work on my displays), we only support WebM format. Can you convert them to WebM, and reupload them to storage and see if they play on your player using the Chrome App? We have had good luck using Miro to convert videos from MP4 to WebM.

Justin
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

Converted them, switched the player to it and still have a blank box where the placeholder should be playing video. 
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

Edwin,

The presentation named UPDATED PLAYER Small Screen v3 - 2 (1920x1080) is the one you pointed to the WebM videos, correct? If so, I do not see that presentation setup to play in any of your schedules.

That being said, like the presentation with the Mp4 videos, I'm having no problems with the videos playing on our media players here. The UPDATED PLAYER Small Screen v3 - 2 (1920x1080) is playing on my Windows and Ubuntu test boxes just fine. 

Justin
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

Yeah I put it on the schedule and take off, Its on a live display that is setup on location so I'll put it up to see if its working & then take it off. Yeah I don't know what the cause is. It is only on this machine and not having issues playing this exact presentation on any of the other displays.  Think I'm going to have to just wipe this machine and start from scratch since I can't find whats keeping it from playing. 
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

I've attached an image of what happens when I put it up, it just leaves a blank spot where that placeholder is with the video player. You can see the background as if the placeholder isn't there.
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

On this same machine if I use any of the other players such as the older one that let me use vimeo files it plays fine (which is currently what is on the schedule)
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

The only other suggestion I have, is that you make sure you're using the Chrome App Player on this machine. Using the older, Native Player, will not work with some of the new Widgets (such as the Video Folder Widget). 

For example, this particular display (Sundance Lobby Screen Side TV6) in your account is running Native Player: http://screencast.com/t/cO1vQ1v6J

If you assign this presentation with the Video Folder Widget to that display, it will not display the Video Folder Widget contents.
(Edited)
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

hmm... thats odd. I'll have to see if the old player is still on here somewhere. The chrome app from the chrome web store is what is on here. I'll uninstall all the players and reinstall again. I'll update with results! Thanks!
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

So even thought the chrome app was installed, the old player was also installed. I guess maybe they were fighting with each other or something? After I uninstalled it and click the rise vision player again now the player is playing. Gotta test and make sure it streams without a problem. Thanks for your help so far! 
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

No problem. Let us know how it turns out. 

Justin
Photo of Edwin C

Edwin C

This took care of this issue! After a day of streaming it works perfectly! Thank you for your help. 
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

No problem Edwin. Glad you are up and running again.

Thanks,

Justin