The file is being requested too many times and is blocked

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

The file is being requested too many times and is blocked on a video from Rise Vision storage
Photo of Media Manager

Media Manager

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Darius - PRODO.us

Darius - PRODO.us, Champion

• 26,850 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yup, the RV Storage would pull something like that. Is it some looping seamless video used as a background? It happened to me a couple of times with them, too. Smaller videos could be converted to Animated GIFs and played as images. For larger videos used on more then one device you might want to use another Internet hosting service, which sux if you are already paying for the RV Storage, or upload separate files for different players - this way you will cut the number of requests sent for the same file.
(Edited)
Photo of Alan Clayton

Alan Clayton, Official Rep

• 8,788 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If you are using Rise Player, images and videos shown by the respective Widgets will be stored in a persistent cache. Which means the continuous downloading will not occur, and you don't lose the files on reboot. 
Photo of Scott Williams

Scott Williams

• 158 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just courious, what constitutes "too many times". How many is to many? Thanks
Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

• 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Scott,

The threshold is determined by a query that we run, it takes into account all requests for the day, and averages it. It's a variable number, so I can't give you a solid number if that's what you're looking for.

Also I believe files get blocked when something goes terribly wrong. In my situation, I made a test presentation for 3 videos in loop and only one got blocked because there was a ridiculous number of request sent for that one particular video, while the other 2 were fine.
Photo of Scott Williams

Scott Williams

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Blake, I understand.
I was just curious if it was a set target so that we could then try to avoid causing the problem.

I would say do not use the same file on many displays (upload copies for each additional displays). I hate saying it, but different file hosting service might help too. But I hope, as Alan said, RV is going to address this problem at some point in the future.
(Edited)
Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

• 76,676 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi there Darius and Media Manager!

I just wanted to let you know that our new Cache has been deployed, and will be rolling out to all Displays in the next week. Once your Display is updated, we are confident that this issue will be corrected.

Thanks!