Player not starting

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
I have several customers who email me regularly when their player does not start.  The PC will be on and wallpaper will up.  ...the player just doesn't start on the reboot at night.  Any ideas why this is happening since we switched to the new player?  The worst part is that our monitoring shows the heart as green, so have no idea and look like fools.  We think it's running.  
Photo of tony

tony

• 11,670 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

• 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
tony,

Have you followed the documentation here to allow Chrome App Player to auto start, as well as the system to reboot nightly?
Photo of Stephen Bradley

Stephen Bradley

• 70 Points
The link leads only to a "page not found" error. Can you revise the link to point to the proper page?
Photo of Alex Kolenoff

Alex Kolenoff

• 3,506 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stephen, 
I think what you might be looking for is here: https://help.risevision.com/user/advanced/display/chrome-player-windows
On that same page you can see the instructions for the other operating systems as well.
Photo of tony

tony

Yes.  and it still happens.  I just had another customer call me complaining that their signage is showing a desktop.  Ever since we stared using he Chrome app this is a regular problem.  We have probably at least one screen per week or more that doesn't start.  They are random screens...random times.  Sometimes it simply does not start even though the PC has restarted and the app is in the startup menu.  
Photo of Alex Kolenoff

Alex Kolenoff

Hi Tony, 

Above you said that "the app" is in the Startup menu.  Neither App Monitor nor the Rise Player should be in the Startup folder for Windows, if you have installed and configured App Monitor.  If either of them are then that is probably causing a conflict.

In order to troubleshoot you will need to look at each display as its own separate case to avoid confusion.  Also, App Monitor has logging checked on by default so you can look through the log for any anomalies (that is assuming it is not misconfigured per my first paragraph). 
Photo of Alex Kolenoff

Alex Kolenoff

You can set it for what you want although I don't think you should be nervous and 1 minute should be fine.  This app does the initial launch of the Rise Player, so if you set it to 5 minutes there may be a delay after a reboot.  If you reboot in the middle of the night that might not matter.  But if your player does go down, then it will be down for 5 minutes before the player starts up again and could cause people to report an issue unnecessarily.

This has nothing to do with the monitoring though.  If you have set yourself up correctly to receive monitoring emails that should work, but there will be a delay between the time that the player stops and the time you receive an email (~30 minutes or so).
Photo of tony

tony

Being the impatient bull in a china shop that I am I set it at 6 minutes and went with it.  Now that I see your reply, i have the answer (probably) to the question I was about to ask...which is why is it opening Chrome and not the Rise Player.  My guess is in 6 minutes I should see the player.  ???  Thanks for all the info.  
Photo of tony

tony

Actually.  I changed it to 1.  I restarted and still the monitor only opens Chrome.  It's been 5 minutes.  No Rise Player.  
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

• 2,526 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Tony,

Were there any Chrome instances running in the background before appmonitor was started? And you have the correct info in the argument line?

Justin
Photo of tony

tony

deleted and added again.  Now it works.  Maybe I had a typo???