Outage Notice - Rise Linux Player.

• Announcement
  • Updated 3 years ago
Community,

Last night, an update was released to the Rise Linux Player that was meant to leverage the latest release of Chrome 47.

Unfortunately, some hidden characters were included during this deployment that broke our player on Linux. You will know that you are affected by this issue if you see a desktop screen, and are unable to relaunch the Rise Player. The only fix for this is to reinstall the Rise Linux Player from the install file, which can be downloaded here.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused. We have paused all upgrades for the moment until the issue is resolved with certainty.
Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

• 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

• 704 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Not cool.  That's twice in three months I've had to reinstall all of my players due to a bad code push.
Photo of Blake Freeman

Mike,

I apologize. This is certainly not the goal that we have set for ourselves. 
Photo of Media Manager

Media Manager

• 1,670 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I can manually start the player.  It just didn't start on its own upon reboot.  And when I did start it, I had to enter the Display ID once again.  I take it I'm going to still have to reinstall and then re-enter the Display ID for it to start on reboot.  Thanks for the heads up.

Adam
(Edited)
Photo of Kenn Bennett

Kenn Bennett

• 60 Points
Okay, so I downloaded the install file, which was a shell code file, Now what?
Photo of Media Manager

Media Manager

I
chmod +x rvplayer-installer.sh 
sudo ./rvplayer0installer.sh
The installer ran, but didn't solve my issue.  Your mileage may vary.
Photo of Media Manager

Media Manager

Reinstalling did not work.  The player did not start as indicated by the installer nor after reboot.

run Rise Vision Player on OS startup (y/n)?y
no crontab for root
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to ânohup.outâ
Starting Rise Player...
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to ânohup.outâ
I can still start it manually.
Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

What do you run to kick it off manually?   I can't leave this screen down any longer.
Photo of Media Manager

Media Manager

Sorry for my late reply.  Open Chrome and then run the app.
Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

I'm receiving the following message in terminal after confirming I want to run at start up.  Other screens ran without issue.

rm: cannot remove '/home/rise/.config/rvplayer/default/preferences': Permission denied
rm: cannot remove '/home/rise/.config/rvplayer/First Run': Permission denied
Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

My issue has now changed to mirror that of @Media Manager.  I followed the steps in this post to remove the old install of Rise Vision to seemingly fix my previous isue.  After confirming to run at start up I receive.
no crontab for root
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to "nohup.out"
Starting Rise Player...
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to "nohup.out"
(Edited)
Photo of Blake Freeman

All,

The process should be as follows,

Download the Rise Player for Linux, open up a terminal, navigate to the directory that you downloaded the installer to, and type 

chmod +x rvplayer-installer.sh 
sudo ./rvplayer0installer.sh
This should install Rise Player. At the completion of installation you will be prompted to set the Player to auto start. After selecting an auto start option, Rise Player should start.

If this is not the case, you may want to remove the initial Rise Player by going into terminal and typing sudo rm -Rf /rvplayer
Photo of Media Manager

Media Manager

Removing the /rvplayer directory and running ./rvplayer-installer.sh (no sudo, using the previous download from the link in the orginal post of this thread) was successful.  The player started moments after the installation.  I also confirmed automatic start on reboot.  Thank you for your assistance and persistence.

Adam
(Edited)
Photo of Blake Freeman

Adam,

Glad to hear it worked. Thanks for the report!
Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

The instructions for the install specifically say "do not run the installer as root or via sudo", I've personally had issue with doing just that.

In any event running it with or without sudo still results in it not launching after the 'nohup.out' message on one of my screens.
(Edited)
Photo of Blake Freeman

The nohup.out response is expected, this is not an error.

Can you try running ./rvplayer from the rvplayer directory?
Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

Ok it's finally working again, albeit I had to re-enter the display ID because of the deletions.

Here are the steps I've taken after a fresh reboot in the terminal:
  1. rm ./rvplayer-installer.sh
  2. rm -Rf ./rvplayer-installer.sh
  3. wget http://install-versions.risevision.com/rvplayer-installer.sh
  4. chmod +x rvplayer-installer.sh
  5. ./rvplayer-installer.sh
It goes through the download, stops at "No Chromiums to Kill" and then seemingly runs through the download again before prompting to open at start up.  I agreed in the affirmative and it launched properly this time.

EDIT:  I spoke too soon.  The player loaded, I entered it's display ID and it immediately rebooted (likely queued up from this mornings reboot command).  When it came back up, Ubuntu desktop.  No player.

Running the installer again, with no other commands and after everything above seems to have finally fixed it.
(Edited)
Photo of Blake Freeman

Mike,

Did you rm -Rf the /rvplayer directory?
Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

Opps.  Yes I did, I just mis-typed it here.
Photo of Revere Controls

Revere Controls

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for posting this Mike, it got me back up and running (for now). Now I get to figure out how to update the rest of our displays spread out across 3 states. Is the URL above (http://install-versions.risevision.com/rvplayer-installer.sh) where Rise Player gets its updates? Because if that's the case I may just put in a firewall rule to prevent any future updates from breaking all of our displays.
Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

I just pulled that link off the "create a display" page for Ubuntu. It was easier to copy/paste wget then to browse to a web page on every machine.

If you crack open .sh file you find two lines in an if/then statement. Looks like these may be the actual update sites for x86 and x64 architectures respectively. Don't take my word for it though, just an observation.

update_url="http://install-versions.risevision.co..."
update_url="http://install-versions.risevision.co..."
Photo of Wendi Borden

Wendi Borden, Champion

• 6,028 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This is scary. Given the problems with Chrome App, we had started exploring Ubuntu boxes as an alternative. Can I block updates on my boxes? I see an option for "Player Browser" but it gives a warning "Using any option other than Auto Upgrade can result in Presentation Content failures."?

As a side note, our boxes will eventually be out in the field in multiple states across the US. We do not have the resources to send someone out to update these boxes in person. What remote management services do you recommend so that something like this would not just be a nightmare?
Photo of Blake Freeman

Wendi,

At this time it's not possible to disable Rise Player updates from your end, only browser updates.

We use Screen Connect for remote management in house, but there are many options out there. I know some users of the forum have shared their thoughts on this in the past.
Photo of Revere Controls

Revere Controls

The ability to disable automatic Rise Player updates should be a very high priority item. This is unacceptable to have an entire display system go down because of a botched update.
Photo of Media Manager

Media Manager

It might be most convenient to set up a VPN and intall SSH on Ubuntu boxes.  This way, you can do your updates to the boxes behind the scenes, as it were.  I use PuTTY to access my Ubuntu machine from Windows.  I use VNC (TightVNC, specifically) to watch my display live.  I hope this helps.

Adam
(Edited)
Photo of Revere Controls

Revere Controls

Thanks for these recommendations Adam! I installed x11vnc on my players and now I can access them using TightVNC from my desktop. 
Photo of mikefinnell

mikefinnell

I agree, if there are going to be updates with errors that require us to reinstall the player to fix them we need a way to disable updates. My content doesn't change (always just images) nor does my hardware. I see no reason I should have to accept auto updates. This is twice in three months an update has broken every (Ubuntu) screen on my campus.

My screens are all in one geographical locations but I still had to spend yesterday running around plugging in to each machine to runs commands. I couldn't even let it go until after hours as it looks beyond unprofessional to have a campus full of blank monitors or Ubuntu desktops all over.

Beyond all of that, did no one test this code? It seems to have broken a great many, if not all, *nix powered players, certainly had someone tested it before pushing it into production it would have caused the same issue?
Photo of Sterling Drug

Sterling Drug

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This has been a train wreck with the recent player updates. Why are these updates forced to the players with no option to update once the bugs are worked out?
I spent a good chunk of time yesterday fixing 17 displays just to come in this morning with another percentage of the displays not working again. the player launches but there is no stream displaying, I can't even get the preview to work from the web site. I know when the new editors were in beta, a lot of my current presentations would not load in the new editors, do I need to re-create all of my presentations since the push of the new interfaces?
Photo of Sterling Drug

Sterling Drug

No error messages during the install, it is just refusing to start the player at all.

The original schedule was created using http://rva.risevision.com/ as well. I have had some quirks the past week/week and a half of place holders not showing up after being edited (in the old editor) as well, had to delete the placeholder and create a new one with a new playlist and then it worked as it should. this was spread across multiple different presentations.
Photo of Sterling Drug

Sterling Drug

Finally got the last player to install. I manually went through the directories and deleted everything I could find related to rvplayer, then I reinstalled and after the install was complete I had to open Chrome manually and add the player from the extension/app store within Chrome and then start it manually, again from within Chrome.
No idea if it is going to fire automatically on reboot or not, but that kind of needed intervention screams OS reinstall because something is seriously hosed up. This one has been down most of the day and I am just going to let it run until the reboot tonight.
Photo of Blake Freeman

Sterling,

Sounds like you installed the Chrome Player Extension on top of the Rise Player. It's likely that it won't start on reboot unless you add it to the startup group.

It sounds like you may have a permissions error with the Rise Player. In a terminal window type "chown -R 'username.usergroup /home/username'" this may resolve your issue.
Photo of Sterling Drug

Sterling Drug

Just wanted to update this issue, turns out I had a user that decided they were going to 'help' fix their board when it went out. They took the liberty of upgrading the OS, which explains a whole lot of things that were going wrong with this last display. Reinstalled from scratch and it looks like everything is happy.
Gotta love users...
Photo of Ashleigh

Ashleigh

• 3,740 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Sterling,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Glad you got this sorted out!

If there's anything else you need assistance with, let us know.

Ashleigh