Losing Display ID

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Since last week, our four Chromeboxes are losing their Display ID on a daily basis. We have to re-enter the ID every morning when we come in. We weren't sure if they were related to the Chrome issues that were being mentioned on the board last week, so we made sure all four were rolled back to Version 44. That didn't seem to solve the problem. In addition, we made sure that all are running Player 15.10.
Photo of Matt Hladun

Matt Hladun

  • 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

  • 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Matt,

Are these Managed Chrome Devices? If so, can you check your organizational unit and ensure that Erase all local user info, settings, and state after each sign-out under the User Data section is set to Do not erase all local user data?
Photo of Matt Hladun

Matt Hladun

  • 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Blake,

Thanks--I just made a change to that setting. Hopefully, that will do the trick.
Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

  • 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Matt,

I've seen this before, so it wouldn't shock me for this to be the case. Let me know!
Photo of Richard DeVillier

Richard DeVillier

  • 62 Points
I had a similar problem. I de-provisioned, wiped and re-enrolled my device and all is well. I had to go through the setup of Public Session/Kiosk App and all that, but it was a great learning experience. At first I tried to resend forced app and public session settings, but wiping it and manually re-enrolling did it and it's pretty easy.
Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

  • 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Richard,

Curious, did you have the Managed device set to Do not erase all local user data? If so, were you still losing your display ID?
Photo of Media Manager

Media Manager

  • 1,670 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm not sure this is isolated to ChromeOS.  I just had this happen in Ubuntu 14.04.  I have it all set up to start automatically, which it has been doing for a few weeks now.  This morning I came in and, presumably after a nightly reboot, I was looking at my desktop.  I rebooted once more with the same results.  I opened Chrome and started the display app manually only to be presented with the error message regarding the Display ID could not be found.  I entered the Display ID as it appears in my RV console and it worked.  I haven't rebooted yet to see if it comes up again.  I'll wait until tomorrow's scheduled reboot.

Adam
Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

  • 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Media Manager, 

This is actually related to a problem with the Rise Linux Player that was introduced last night. Please see this thread for more information.