Firefly-RK3288

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not Planned
Firefly-RK3288 is now available at a quite low price for a very powerful ARM Development Board based on Rockchip RK3288
Other that the normal expansion headers you would expect from development boards it supports both Android and Linux.
Specifications:
  • SoC – Rockchip RK 3288 quad core ARM Cortex A12 / A17 up to 1.8 GHz with Mali-T764 GPU supporting OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 /3.0, OpenVG 1.1, and OpenCL 1.1
  • System Memory – 2G DDR3
  • Storage – 16 GB eMMC flash + micro SD slot
  • HDMI 2.0 up to 3840×2160@60p
  • VGA out (D-SUB connector)
  • Dual MIPI, Dual LVDS and and EDP signal available via expansion headers
  • Audio Output / Input – HDMI, optical S/PDIF, microphone header, and built-in MIC
  • Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n and 802.11ac Wi-Fi with external antenna, and Bluetooth 4.0
  • USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x micro USB OTG
  • Serial console for debugging
  • Expansion Headers – 2x 38-pin headers with access to MIPI, LVDS, EDP, PWM, SPI, UART, ADC, GPIO, I2C, I2S
  • Misc – IR receiver, 2x user LED, power, recovery and reset buttons.
  • Power – 5V/2A DC
  • Dimensions – 118 x 83 mm

I think it a good idea to make Firefly-RK3288 to be a MINI PC or TVBOX for it can play 4K video and run ubuntu debian.
If you are a developer, it is a learning platform that the board have MIPI, LVDS, EDP, PWM, SPI, UART, ADC, GPIO, I2C, I2S.
By the way, their official website have Detailed information if you want to play it.
See their website:http://en.t-firefly.com/en/
Photo of jaco lin

jaco lin

• 70 Points

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

• 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Looks like a great little piece of equipment in league with Raspberry Pi, thanks for sharing!
(Edited)
Photo of William Oneal

William Oneal, Champion

• 13,770 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yea its a good piece of hardware but i do believe hardware acceleration is not working on the ubuntu image as of yet. That means video in a browser will be laggy and probably will not work. Now some media players on the ubuntu image might do video well but they incorporate the libraries needed for hardware acceleration to run video correctly. Browsers don't do this. They use whatever ubuntu has to offer and if its not working then there goes video.

Now i do believe the android side has hardware acceleration. I have a similar device i use for testing and it seems to run video well.

Before i buy devices i always look for hardware acceleration. Most notably the forums because someone there will find out the hard way. 

Hopefully this helps. 
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

• 2,526 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your input as always William!

Justin
Photo of linjz

linjz

• 60 Points
I bought a firefly-rk3288 some time ago.The firefly-rk3288 is  cool, it can run the android system and lubuntu system together. And it has its own open-source community and wiki, very suitable for beginners. thanks for sharing!