Dual Display Resolution - Ubuntu 3840 x 1080

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have a new installation.  This is the setup:

Two displays, side by side,1920 x 1080 each
NUC i5 Media player - Ubuntu

Here is the problem.  I cannot get the media player to recognize the two displays as 3840 x 1080. Rather, Rise and the OS only see them individually as an extended desktop.  Is the resolution something I can change in the script of the player?
Photo of Westshore Learning Commons

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ezequiel Conte

Ezequiel Conte, Employee

• 874 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi!

Unfortunately, we only support extended desktop over multiple Displays on Windows.
If you manage to get your setup to work, please share your findings here with the community.
Thanks!
Photo of RPTDigital Signage

RPTDigital Signage

• 2,284 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
We had such a setup working once in Ubuntu 13.?? using a Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE unit which takes inputs via DisplayPort and joins the two monitors into one that on start-up shows 3840x1080.

Matrox does not support Ubuntu for this hardware, but we had the set-up working well in Windows 7 on a Windows NUC and we rebooted it under Ubuntu just to see what would happen. It functioned perfectly, and Ubuntu and Rise saw it as a single desktop. It even handled a disconnected monitor gracefully. But if something went wrong we would have had to re-configure set-up under Windows, so this solution was never ready to ship to a customer and because it wasn't officially supported by Matrox.

With Unbuntu, specific drivers for different video set-ups seemed to always be the stumbling block. Also, the Matrox Dual and Triple Head units only support horizontal landscape arrays, so we could not do a stacked array of 1920 x 2160 for example.

A further reason was that the Intel Collage capable drivers came out for most newer NUC with Displayport and work well, so on a NUC with DisplayPort we could configure 3 monitors Portrait or Landscape as we wished under Windows.

Ubuntu is free and easy to clone, and Windows is the OS we all love to hate, but it seems there are always things we can do on Windows that may or may not happen on Ubuntu.

Good luck.

A quick update - I was able to "trick" the media player into thinking two display were one using the software program compiz - a compositing manager that lets users make system-wide adjustments to Ubuntu.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  
Photo of Ezequiel Conte

Ezequiel Conte, Employee

• 874 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Nice! Thanks for sharing it. Cheers!
Photo of Robb

Robb, Official Rep

• 76,676 Points 50k badge 2x thumb