Chrome OS Merging with Android in 2017.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
I just read the article and wanted others to know as well. I kinda figured this would happen but didn't expect an announcement this soon. 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639950/google-combining-android-chromeos-report
Photo of William Oneal

William Oneal, Champion

• 13,770 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of HSuarez

HSuarez

• 11,896 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It'll be interesting to see how the merge will affect the Android ecosystem.

Still trying to get used to "Alphabet Inc."
Photo of William Oneal

William Oneal, Champion

I think android wont be changed much at all. There might be some added API's that might filter over from chrome os, but i don't think android will be changed to much. Interface might change but programming probably not. I think where its going to hurt is those who use chrome os and develop for it. Im sure google will find a way to keep both ecosystems going but it will be under an android os and not chrome os. 
Photo of Ray Durkin

Ray Durkin

• 3,480 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
certainly will be interesting.  Hard to imagine any company continuing to support two OS's over time.  With all the android phones out there, it's hard to imagine chrome becoming the OS of choice.  Anyway - we'll see what happens, but it is fun to speculate.
Photo of Rupert Snyman

Rupert Snyman

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
no different to Mac OS and iOS really, becoming closer and more integrated but still serve primarily different functions
Photo of William Oneal

William Oneal, Champion

The thing is this isn't anything like iOS and Mac OS. Those are still different in many ways and both are not going away. Where as Chrome OS is going away which means one OS and that's Android. They might make some newer APIs that chrome OS was using but for those buying chrome boxes, they might need to rethink there strategy. In a year or more support will go away because Google will now be fully focused on android. It good to see but bad if your investing money in chrome OS.
Photo of HSuarez

HSuarez

• 11,896 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
They might have let Chrome OS be eaten up by the more established but already quiet fragmented Android market?  The iOS ecosystem is fairly tightly knit (Jobs effect?) in contrast.  It's hard to know what the future landscape is like.  

Other Google products that have 'sunset' - Google Code, Google Wave..maybe Google Glass..
(Edited)