Best Device for RiseVision (1080p, lan, value for money)

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
So ive tested out afew different devices but cant decide which to use to run a restaurant menu screens from, going to setup maybe 10 screens. Recently bought a Raspberry Pi 2, but seems to be too slow. I've looked at the voyo windows 8.1 mini pcs which seem to run the best from what ive tested but are abit expensive (about $180AUD). The next best thing i've found are the android dongles (mk908ii), but updates are constantly changing things with android and this dongle runs on wifi which makes it less efficient.

So my question is, whats the best device, value for money which runs RiseVision the way its supposed to (least bugs), fast, plays 1080p video and runs off an ethernet port (wifi optional)?
Any help appreciated
Photo of Christopher Boctor

Christopher Boctor

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • overwhelmed

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blake Freeman

Blake Freeman, Official Rep

• 36,116 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Christopher,

On the lower end, there are many pros and cons for different devices, so it makes this a complicated topic.

First off, the guys at Cenique have done a wonderful job with their player. Their 110 (linked) and 410 models have on board ethernet. These players do run Android, but the guys at Cenique do a good job keeping up with updates and developing their own content widgets.

The Intel NUC running Windows is still our preference for most Rise Vision applications. It stands the test of time, has on board ethernet, and is very customizable. The price is probably higher than you would like, but as far as best value, this combination has the edge.

The ASUS Chromebox is a relatively new contender in the hardware area. It's a great value, and has ethernet, however it does have some limitations in terms of the OS being locked down. We haven't had any issues with the hardware so far, but have gotten caught up in some issues related to OS updates.
Photo of Christopher Boctor

Christopher Boctor

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I ended up investing in some android boxes, seem to be the most operable devices for the cost. ($64 usd per box) and plays 1080p video fine. 
Photo of XMedia Dubai

XMedia Dubai

• 2,786 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Christopher 

you can also try the INTEL CompuStick also. It works in wifi. But you can experiment with USB ethernet adapter.

regards
prakash